STEP St. John’s would like to acknowledge the athletes who represented this province at the Pan Am and Parapan Am Games this year in Toronto.
Pan Am Games
The Pan Am Games ran from July 10th – 26th and saw Canada placing second in overall medal standings with 217 medals. Newfoundland and Labrador was well represented here.
The Canadian Men’s Softball team took home a gold medal at the Pan Am games. This team consisted of five athletes and two coaches from Newfoundland:
• Ryan Boland of Goulds
• Sean Cleary of Harbour Main
• Brad Ezekiel of Harbour Main
• Jason Hill of St. John’s
• Stephen Mullaley of Freshwater
• John Hill of St. John’s (assistant coach), and
• Les Howey of Conception Bay South (assistant coach)
Carl English of Paradise won a silver medal as a member of the Canadian Men’s Basketball Team.
As well, Ben Taylor of St. John’s qualified and competed in the Men’s 10m Air Rifle Shooting, ranking 12th.
Parapan Am Games
The Parapan Am games ran from August 7th – 15th. Again, Canada placed second in the overall medal count with 168 medals. The Parapan Am Games is tailored for those athletes with physical disabilities.
• Katarina Roxon of Kippens took home six medals in swimming – one gold, three silver and two bronze
• Liam Hickey of St. John’s earned a silver medal as part of the Canadian men’s wheelchair basketball team
• Kyle Payne of Cormack with men’s football finished in fourth place.